Global emergency: climate, biodiversity, environment
The CNRS/Ifremer/IRD/UBO staff of the Laboratoire des sciences de l’environnement marin (LEMAR) support the initiatives that are being set up at the global level, as well as in France, to deal with the global emergency (climate, biodiversity, environment).
We call on political leaders on all sides to unite their efforts to implement actions to abandon the primacy of short-term interests that prevail in our thermo-industrial societies and that lead to the depletion of our natural resources.
- We support the initiatives of the world’s youth to make March 15, 2019 a major mobilization day.
- We call for participation in the World Climate March on 16 March 2019.
- We subscribe to the various calls of scientists (Appeal of 300 European researchers in the daily newspaper Le Soir, Scientists warning of the Alliance of World Scientists, tribune of 700 French scientists in Libération, IPCC report, etc.)** demanding concrete and immediate actions from political leaders for the protection of the environment.
- We are committed to taking daily action to reduce the climate and environmental impact of our research activities.
- We urge our institutions (CNRS, Ifremer, IRD and UBO) to promote and support our eco-responsible approaches, and to make a public and official commitment to take concrete measures in line with the global emergency.
Let’s make 2019 the year of ecological transition!
Plouzané, March 12, 2019
* The authoritative version of this text is the original French version
** Call by 300 Belgian, French and Swiss researchers on 20 February 2019: https://plus.lesoir.be/207972/article/2019-02-20/
Warning of theAlliance of World Scientists : http://www.scientistswarning.org/scientists-warning-news/
Call by 700 French scientists on 8 September 2018: https://www.liberation.fr/planete/2018/09/07/rechauffement-climatique-nous-en-appelons-aux-decideurs-politiques_1677176
Report of the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) published on 8 October 2018: https://www.huffingtonpost.fr/2018/10/07/le-giec-appelle-a-des-transformations-sans-precedent-pour-limiter-le-rechauffement-climatique_a_23553769/